Thursday, May 27, 2010

Something to Ponder Upon..

A few days ago I was talking to my colleague. We were exchanging stories about our children. She told me that recently, they were watching Cerekarama where the scene showed a son/daughter taking good care of his/her aged mother.

She then told them that's the way a good child should be, taking care of their parents when they are old.

One of her sons said, "Alah..selama nih Mak bukannya jaga kitaorang pun.."

"Tersentak saya bila dengar macam tu! Selalunya budak-budak ni bila diaorang bercakap, it's something that comes from the bottom of their hearts. That statement hurts!"

Kids say the darndest things but she was spot on when she said that when children speak, it's from the bottom of their hearts. What her son said scared me too. To me, her son's statement connotes, "You were too busy with your work and didn't take care of me when I was growing up so why should I care for you when you are old??!" I've been a busy working mom and at times, I leave it to my maid to tend to my children especially Aira. Most of the time you come home late and tired and when your child wants his/her time with you, you ignore them. When they do something naughty to attract your attention, you end up yelling and punishing them with a smack or a pinch.

Yes, working hard for the money is important for survival. Your children do not understand that you are working hard to provide the best for them. But is it worth it when your child make the abovementioned statement?

Something to ponder upon...


I hope when they are older, my children understand. I hope they will care for us. I hope we need not beg for their love and attention. I hope we will not end up in an old folks' home. AMIN.

No comments: