Friday, February 5, 2010

Hello Manila III

28 January 2010 - Manila Day 3

Today was the last day of the Ministerial Conference. Started my day with breakfast at the cafe (limited to fruits and cereals of course) the session started with a re-cap of yesterday's presentations and discussions, followed by a break-up sessions consisting of several topics. I joined the Septage Management Session as the CEO of IWK was one of the panelists. The other panelist was from the host country, Manila. Before the panel session, a report by USAID was presented which potrays Malaysia as one of the countries with one of the best septage management best practices. Bangga dowh! Anyways, the session lasted for about 2 hours before we adjourned for lunch.


After lunch, the head of delegation gathered for the Ministerial Conference whilst the rest of us broke up into 4 groups. This time around I joined the Institutional and Policy session where we discussed the institutional and policy issues of each countries and to prioritise the most crucial issues that we can address and cooperate at the regional level. After that, all four groups including the Heads of Delegation, gathered at Sunset Pavillion and presented our findings. The session ended at about 5.30 p.m.

We were actually invited to attend a dinner hosted by the Department of Health but due to the food restrictions, we decided to go find our own.


At first we went to SM Asia Mall, the biggest mall in Asia. It was huge. I was tired just looking at it. We went to Kultura, which sells souvenirs and handicrafts. I bought key chains, whilst the other delegates bought table cloths. We tried to look for Halal restaurants around. Not wanting to walk endlessly at the shopping mall, I was glad to spot a lady with a head scarf there.

Me: Excuse me, are you a Muslim?
Lady: Yes.
Me: Do you know where we can find Halal food in this mall.
Lady: Ohhh, you can go to KFC. It's all chicken. You could also eat the fish burger at McDonald's.
Me: ??? Okay, thanks!

The bosses decided to go to Makati City as it is the city centre. The journey from Roxas Blvd to Makati City was about 40 minutes. I AM SO SCARED OF THEIR DRIVING!!!! I kept wincing in fear, thinking OMG we are going to hit another vehicle. They have no system, simply cilok like they own the damn road. Every freaking driver drives like that. Ironically, I didn't spot any accidents the whole time I was there.

We ate at a Persian restaurant. I have to say the food was really good. I loved the vegetable masala. I was told that Makati City was the central business district so I expected something like KLCC but the road where our restaurant was situated somehow reminds me of Pudu Raya. Rupa-rupanya, the heart of Makati is 20 minutes walk away. Darn! I thought I would be able to go to Hard Rock Cafe to add to hubby's t-shirt collection but since the malls would be close by the time we arrive there, the bosses decided to go back to our hotel.

We arrived at the hotel at about 10 p.m. I think I had coffee in the morning because it was having difficulties to sleep so I ended up watchingn TMZ and some memorable videoclips which features movie soundtracks like Bryan Adams' Everything I Do (I Do It For You) (OST Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves ~ my childhood friend, Liza Khalis, and I fell madly in love with Kevin Costner back then), Wet Wet Wet's Love Is All Around (OST Four Weddings and A Funeral ~ Ooooh, Hugh Grant!), Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On (OST Titanic ~ I love you, Leo!) and Ronan Keating's When You Say Nothing At All (OST Notting Hill ~ I wanna go to Notting Hill again!). I ended up sleeping at about 2.30 a.m.

Good night/morning, Manila. Hopefully I'll be able to wake up, or more importantly STAY UP during the discussions!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

posing gomen sangattt pic yg last tuh...hahahahhahah

-dina-

Nuraizah@Yong said...

Itu pose wajib..hahahaha!