Friday, October 16, 2009

Lost in The Musicator

I love listening to Red.fm especially to JD and Dilly on the way to work. Being a [late] 70s baby, my favourite segment has to be Lost in the 80s, where the deejays will play your 80s song requests. They supposedly travel in a time travelling machine, which was dubbed The Musicator, call the person who made the request or read their emails and ask the caller why they chose the song.
Today, one of the listeners requested for Kylie's Hand on Your Heart. His reason: it reminds him of his innocent days. Yup, he said it right. It's such an upbeat song. I was 10 or 11 years old when I became a fan of Kilie Minogue. Who wouldn't fall in love with I Should Be So Lucky and be addicted doing the Locomotion, right? Nowadays, when I hear a Kylie song from her earlier album, I would be reminded of my good friend, Michele Choo Yen Yen who is responsible for making me buy my first Kylie album :o)

Some info I found about Hand On Your Heart from Wikipedia:

"Hand on Your Heart" is a popdance song performed by Australian singer Kylie Minogue and written by Mike Stock, Matt Aitken and Pete Waterman. It was produced by Stock, Aitken & Waterman, and received a mixed reception from music critics when it was released as the first single from Minogue’s second album, Enjoy Yourself, in the second quarter of 1989.
The single peaked at number four in Australia and became Minogue's third number one in the United Kingdom. In Australia, the single was available as limited editions 7" and 12" posterbags featuring different artwork to the UK release. In 2006, Swedish singer-songwriter José González released an acoustic cover version of "Hand on Your Heart" as a single. His version peaked at number twenty-nine in the UK.




"Hand on Your Heart" featured a colourful music video that was directed by Chris Langman and filmed in Minogue's hometown Melbourne,Australia in March 1989. The video features Minogue dancing in a modernistic house. Dressed in vibrant colours of red, blue and yellow, Minogue travels from room to room, dancing playfully for the camera. A live version of the video was also released and featured Minogue performing a special "live remix" in Japan, both versions featured in Kylie's Greatest Hits 87-97 DVD.


An alternate version of the "Hand on your heart" video was broadcast on UK TV pre-release yet has never been screened again. On this version Kylie's shoes spin on camera and introduce all three of her new outfits of matching colours. Only one "shoe spin" remains on the final version, featured on her Ultimate DVD.


Seen as a cheap video, and Kylie herself has made it clear she felt uncomfortable during the filming, it is however a fan-favourite camp-Kylie moment. Released to music video channels prior to the single's commercial release, the video was a hit, gaining significant airplay on music video channels. The video was released commercially on the Ultimate Kylie companion DVD, released in December 2004.

On April 24, 1989, "Hand on Your Heart" was released in the United Kingdom. The song became Minogue's second song to debut at number two on the singles chart, before it peaked at number one the following week. On its third week it was replaced on the top of the chart by the UK Hillsborough disaster charity single "Ferry Cross the Mersey" by The Christians, Holly Johnson, Paul McCartney, Gerry Marsden and Stock, Aitken and Waterman. "Hand on Your Heart" also topped the UK Dance and Indie charts.

The song was one of the first singles to sell well on cassette, selling 2,000 copies in the first week of release. This would have been enough to have Minogue enter in at number one, something no female had ever done at the time, but the cassette single was not an eligible format for the chart at the time, meaning The Bangles stayed at number one with "Eternal Flame". Because of this the rules were quickly changed so that cassette singles were allowed.

Outside of the UK, the song was also successful. It reached number four in Australia and became Minogue's fifth top five single on the singles chart. In reached the top ten in Finland, France, Japan, and South Africa and the top twenty in Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, and Sweden.

HAND ON YOUR HEART - KYLIE MINOGUE
Put your hand on your heart and tell me
That we're through, oohOh,
Put your hand on your heart, hand on your heart



Well it's one thing to fall in love
But another to make it last
I thought that we were just begining
And now you say we're in the past
Oh, look me in the eye and tell me we are really through
You know it's one thing to say you love me
But another to mean it from the heart
And if you don't intend to see it through
Why did we ever start
Oh, I wanna hear you tell me you don't want my love


Put your hand on your heart and tell me, It's all over,
I won't believe it till you put your hand on your heart and tell me
That we're through, oohOh
Put your hand on your heart, Hand on your heart


They like to talk about forever
But most people never get the chance
Do you wanna lose our love together
Do you find a new romance
Oh, I wanna hear you tell me you don't want my love


Put your hand on your heart and tell me, It's all over,
I won't believe it till you put your hand on your heart and tell me
That we're through, oohOh
Put your hand on your heart, Hand on your heart

Oh, put your hand on your heart, Hand on your heart
(Hand on your heart) Hand on your heart
(Hand on your heart)Hand on your heart
Oh, look me in the eye and tell me we are really through


Put your hand on your heart and tell me, It's all over,
I won't believe it till you put your hand on your heart and tell me
That we're through, oohOh
Put your hand on your heart, Hand on your heart

2 comments:

ja amran said...

kenapa aku tak dapat updates blog ko? and aku nye blog dah lama update tapi tak appear dlm blog ko?

blogspot ada prob ke?

thewisekid said...

funny how i think of you every time 'Do The Locomotion'/ 'I Should Be So Lucky' is on the air!